Notifications
Clear all

Mistake in episode 9? (Spoiler)

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@andreas)

Towards the end of the book, Josh and Loki run the initial recon in the Sugali fighter, and Loki exclaims "uh-oh" followed by "A Dusahn battleship just jumped in over Rakuen". They report back to the Aurora, and the battleship is seemingly wiped from the story at that point. WHen the Aurura jumps to Rogen, it's noted that there's a heavy cruiser and two frigates at each location, and that Rakuen is getting the worst of it only by eyeballing the situation. The battleship that subsequently attacks the Aurora is treated as a surprise to everyone.

This seems like a big mistake, no? Seems like the story was rewritten and parts of the old one left in.

11 Replies
 BOrg
(@davidj)
Trusted Member

I know the part that you speak of but haven't gone back to take a look. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those instances where Ryk has over-lapped "time" between scenes. It's one of the things I personally like about his style.

Topic starter
(@andreas)

It's not that. Josh and Loki discover the battleship while on a two minute recon for the Aurora before it jumps into the Rogen system, realizing they have to jump back and tell Nathan immediately. When they do report they don't mention it. Later they crash into the battleship when it jumps in front of them. The first spotting of the battleship is simply wiped from the story after it's mentioned.

(@four-islands)

I figured that if we replace that battleship with a heavy cruiser, and that heavy cruiser jumped to one of the planet's it would make more sense - but it doesnt because if that were the case there would be no gunyoki's after that... You are right, it's not mentioned again and is a surprise, and shouldn't be. if it wasn't mentioned then the jump missle attack would have been a surprise to us too. I'm surprised that they didn't just use a missle frigates to offload a full supply of jump missiles and then jump them in a TOT attack. and forget the battleship. the Dushan have a bigger fleet then I though too. because they utilised more ships then I though they had left

BOrg
(@davidj)
Trusted Member

I went back and looked that over. They did at one point say they needed to get back and tell the captain but I was kind of assuming it was Captain Taylor at Tactial Command not Captain Scott. However, there is a later scene where Josh and Loki are reporting to Nathan who has yet to join the battle. So you are right that at least the sequence is not congruent. Additionally the entire section starts off with razor jumping into the gunyoki platform battle and then noticing the battleship jump in over Rakuen. It would seem that quite a bit actually happened between the attack on the gp (gunyoki platform) and the Aurora being ambushed by the jump missles.

Admittedly I missed that entirely. I think you should get a free book or something for catching that. 😉

Topic starter
(@andreas)

@four-islands, Josh and Loki and already reported the presence of a heavy cruiser and two frigates at each planet before they went back on the two minute, battleship-spotting recon trip. Also, Reaper 6 with Cameron on board jump to the Rogen system just before the Aurora, so she was on the Aurora when they did that recon.

I think it's simply an error from heavy editing. I have a feeling that there was a lot of that in this book. Several storylines were started and then just abandoned mid-book, like the Casbon one and the foreshadowed attack on Sanctuary. The title also makes very little sense in it being something Telles says right at the end of the book, which has more or less nothing to do with the majority of the storyline in the book. Throughout the book I kept looking for a reasoning for the title, thinking maybe Nathan would save Casbon ("bring justice") and gain an ally or something, but as it stands the book would be better titles "I am random" :D. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but the title just seems very off.

(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

@andreas I have to agree with you that the omission of the battleship's presence from the story after it was specifically mentioned by Josh and Loki was probably something not caught in an editing pass. I too noticed it when I first read the book through.

There were several story threads introduced in "I Am Justice" that probably won't be answered until subsequent episodes. Unfortunately until those episodes are published we're left with unresolved plots that have no resolution.

One thing I'm hoping is addressed in the next episode is the entire Josh/Deliza kiss. It's never mentioned after the rescue, but it isn't like there's time for it. But it should be interesting to see how Ryk handles it.

(@four-islands)

this book all happens in the course of like a week, so it progresses some story elements a little, it's part of a series not a movie, so we havfe to cut Ryk some slack, it wouldn't make since to finish every story point each book

Gary
(@gbone)
Estimable Member

Josh and Loki could have just made a big mistake. In the heat of things things do slip sometimes.

(@nickel)

The battle as a whole shows many inconstancies and indications of rewrite and changes in the writing. You have the Battleship, but you also have the ships over Neramese… The Aurora is askes to fire jump missiles at the cruiser and is told "TAC COM reports the frigates over Neramese have already been destroyed" a bit later in TAC COM we get "Heavy cruiser over Neramese has been destroyed.... Strikers are dealing with the frigates" and then on the aurora they get the message the cruiser is destroyed and the frigates are being dealt with.... somehow they got destroyed and then undestroyed to be assaulted again... The story was good, but needs some editing to smooth and clean it up

(@nickel)

Gary, Yep in the heat of battle.... Josh and Loki imagined seeing a Battleship jump in, returned early from their recon flight to report about the battleship, but then forgot to report about it, then the imagined battleship wasn't in orbit, and when it does jump in they are surprised that there is a battleship.... seems like a clear slip up in the heat of battle... lol

(@aroth)

Yep, I also thought it was really weird that Josh and Loki observed a battleship, made a point of noting it for report, and then later everyone (including Josh and Loki) is super-surprised when a battleship shows up.

If ever there's something that's a candidate for a 'second-edition' revision, it's this.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese