Clear all

Scott-Nash Child?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

Now Jessica already has her adopted daughter, but what does everyone think of the idea of Nathan and Jessica having a child together?

5 Replies
(@domglino)

Ooph, that depends.
I don't know what the consensus here with everyone else is regarding that, but personally I would not like that kind of thing added to the story. I always see those kinds of things as something of a distraction that pulls away from the story, and I'd say at least 75% of the time their introduction is completely unnecessary to furthering the plot. Unless a child needs to be introduced to actually advance the story (A really great example would be Stargate SG-1; one of the characters is forced to bear a child that later becomes the leader of a great enemy), that's fine. But introducing in a kid just to introduce a kid, I can't stand. Especially in a military scifi like this. Quite a few TV shows do this and it really just kills the enjoyment of watching it. So, now I have to watch the main characters spend time and take care of some darn kid that was shoehorned into the show by the writers probably because the studio wanted something to broaden their audience. You can see how that just pulls away from what we're all reading these books for, and as a result we get less time experiencing it.
So, with my understanding of the universe that FS takes place in, I can't really see a way to have the introduction of a child between two huge characters be necessary to further any of the plots. Then again, I am not the author after all, Ryk may always come up with something good!

(@demian)
Trusted Member

Yeah, I agree with @domglino

(@galacticstartup)

I agree, but only if ACTs 3,4 & 5. all occurred within the next twenty years. If they were to have a child and that child grew up to be say an integral part of the fifth ACT, perhaps does his own martyrs death to save humanity and his father outlives him. That would make it worth it.

However, if the child is simply there and doesn't take a big part of the future, I'll agree with @domglino & @demian

Lani
(@lani)

Nah think it will mess things up. But then again we may need a Nathan Jr. that’s Ryks call he knows best in his stories.

Bill Fuller
(@buffalo24a)

Moonlighting.  That is what I think about when some of the main characters get that involved.  Great TV show until they connected, in my opinion.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese