Notifications
Clear all

Reading Level

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@rjwthethird)

My son is a sixth grader and his teacher has assigned a book report project, the students can pick a science fiction book.
I asked the teacher in an email if my son could read The Frontiers Saga, she replied.

The series is Science Fiction but I am unable to find a reading level for it. I use ar bookfinder. If you can find an AR level or Lexile reading level for it that would be helpful in determining whether it would work or not.

Can anyone help me find this information on Amazon or another site.

4 Replies
(@four-islands)

I would hasten to point out that 1) The Main Character drinks excessively in the initial chapter or two. 2) that main character has sex with a stranger in the initial chapter or two 3) One of the consistent themes of the book is the loss of life in war.

Apart from that, its real easy to read, very few technical terms and those mentioned are for background.

I would age gate the book series as a whole at 13~14 (because who wants to try to explain the initial drinking and getting laid thing to anyone that young) but that's just me, my judgement cannot be relied upon as I'm just a big kid myself!

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't recommend my saga to anyone who hasn't reached puberty yet. Although, I doubt there is anything in my stories that your average sixth grader doesn't already see on TV, in video games, or just plain learns from friends.

(@four-islands)

I guess you could tell your son not to mention the sex part to his teacher and if all else fails, blame it all on that video game; "Grand Theft Auto"!

(@ellicottr)
Trusted Member

A sixth grader is 11 to 12 years old, even with the drinking in the beginning (which is less than in any of the current Superhero movies out now) and the sex, which was not graphic at all (more of a fade to black then fade back in after the fact...) i doubt they haven't been exposed. I just went on the lexile website and put in the range for a 6th grader who is comfortable reading books and found on the list Dune Messiah... I think that that has far more "mature" topics that someone would be concerned with if they find these things concerning...

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese