ZPEDs and jump drives?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Topic starter
(@gbone)
Estimable Member

After rereading episode 1 and noting the use of jump missiles I think back to part 1 and how the ZPEDs had on jump transition.

Could this be a solution to jump missiles? Just run with a big unshielded ZPED. Forcing missiles out of transition outside of the shields.

4 Replies
(@ellicottr)
Trusted Member

Thats an interesting idea, but i am not sure that the zpeds force things out of jump as much as make the jump more unpredictable, but i would ave to go back an reread those parts to be sure.... I think they may actually drag transition points closer to itself... Also i think having the power all they way up will allow other "conventional" weapons something else to zero in on... of course if you have it on full and are pumping everything into the shield conventional weapons may not matter all....

(@four-islands)

ZPEDs have a field similar to gravity - it attracts objects travelling in jump.
Takaran shields interfered with the initial prototype jump field.

What you are suggesting @gbone would be guaranteeing that jump missiles drop out of jump aimed right at you / crashing into you.

If you had Takaran shields then maybe those would drop the jump field with enough time to shoot the missiles down... but missiles travel fast even when not jumping so I'm sure you'd want to be fast on the trigger (& I hope you can stop the resulting broken missiles kinetic mass from putting a hole in your ship)

@ellicottr I dont think that ZPED powered shields would stop the follow on JKKV strikes the Alliance would unleash. My god, the 4th of July has nothing on that mental picture!!!

(@ellicottr)
Trusted Member

Well we do know that Jung shields powered by a moon base, though not necessarily zpeds could not withstand a KKV strike, as the Jung moon was shielded and popped like a water balloon when hit... I can't remember if we know if the Jung have zpeds at that time, or this time for that matter.. How much power to kinetic shields would be needed to shrug off a KKV strike? Could a string of zpeds actually build enough power to block a KKV? And if they did would the momentum of the strike cause more damage in that case? In other words, if say the Kazura (sp?) asteroid was protected by enough zped powered shields that would stop a KKV attack from popping the asteroid (a very big if) would the interior survive the resulting shockwave from being hit by something so massive moving so fast? And then even if the anti-grave or inertial compensators would keep everyone inside from becoming jelly, would the asteroid be thrown off course?

(@four-islands)

Oh My Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster!!! Drop Everything!!! Intergalactic Asteroid Football is within our grasp!!!

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese