Clear all

Jump Drive Differences

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

I'm presently reading the section of Episode 13 where Nathan visits Abby on Tanna to discuss the project to construct new fast attack ships based on the Scout-class design and it has me curious about the differences of the different variants of the jump drive. Essentially, we've seen two variants: the short-range, multi-jump variant used in Super Eagles (I assume), Super Falcons, Scouts, and most likely soon the Cobra-class gunships and the longer-ranged variants used on larger ships such as the Aurora and Celestia among others that require recharge layovers between jumps to recharge their energy banks (unless powered by a ZPED like the Avendahl). What I'm curious about is at what size does a ship stop being able to use the short-range, multi-jump variant in favor of the longer-ranged variant? Obviously a cruiser would need the longer-range variant since most cruisers are the size of the Aurora or larger, but could a Frigate for example use the multi-jump variant or would it too have to use the variant that relies on energy banks?

2 Replies
(@four-islands)

As far as I understand it The Scout ships would be the biggest ships to use the 2nd type of Jump drive, while Frigates + would use the First style with the larger energy banks.

Also I think that the smaller vehicles use energy banks too, but that they are recharged fast enough that multi-jumping is not an issue... until something brakes... then its going to be an issue.

I would like the Super Eagle to have a jump drive but I'm not sure what room you would have for weapon systems then.

Topic starter
(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

I believe the Scouts use energy banks, but the Super Falcons and shuttles have their drive receive energy directly from their reactors.

I have a suspicion that the Super Eagle will receive a jump drive, but it will prove interesting to see how much else it receives since the original Eagles are supposedly smaller than the jump-capable shuttles and Super Falcons. Not much room to begin with for enlarging a weapons bay, etc. Hopefully Episode 15 will include a description of the changes Deliza made to the design.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese