Clear all

Fact check: Pre-Plague FTL speeds

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

Just checking that I'm correct that the highest FTL speed that had been achieved before the Bio-Digital Plague was 10x light correct? Was that military and civilian starships or were civilian starships slower?

4 Replies
(@four-islands)

I would imagine that the standard Civilian Space craft would have been warping about at Warp 5-10 (more about cutting costs of travel then getting places fast), with Military craft clocked higher at about Warp 20. I would not push Military craft that far ahead of the Civilian craft as the time Military spending would not have been very high, I imagine that it was more about Policing than Fighting Wars.

The reason I didn't say warp 1000 or even 100 is that the Takaran's left Earth (or at least a Core World) with the current Gen Civilian Tech. And over the last 1000 years have only recently broken Warp 100 for Capital ships. That means to me that They probably had warp 10, pushed it to warp 20 for War ships and then ran into power restrictions. (ZPED allows for an order of magnitude greater power delivery)

(@swordedge)
Estimable Member

Warp speed is Star Trek and is logarithmic. 100c is decently fast. Although, even at 100c, travel times are rather long.

Pluto, 2 minutes 47 seconds
Alpha Centauri, 16 days
20 ly, 73 Days 1 hour 12 minutes
Alpha Ceti, 2.2 years (of star trek fame, 219.8 ly)
Polaris, 4.312 years (north star, or about 430.9 ly)
Galactic Center, 249 years.
Andromeda, 25,730 years.

Wolfram Alpha rocks for this

Topic starter
(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

The top speed in the Frontiers Saga demonstrated by the Jung is 20c. Com-drones are capable of 100c (unless they're Takaran com drones powered by mini-ZPEDs)

The Aurora was only suppose to be capable of 10c originally before her jump drive was installed.

(@four-islands)

Ok, Feeling dumb, I imagine every time I said "Warp 10" replace it with "10x light" etc

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese