Clear all

The Defender Class

45 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
 Apoc
(@apocnebs)
Trusted Member

I was looking through the earlier books to get data on the Defender Class for the wiki page ( http://the-frontiers-saga.wikia.com/) and found this at location 418 of Episode 1 Aurora - CV-01

"Nathan remembered that the facility had been constructed more than a decade earlier, just after the Earth had learned of the Jung Dynasty's Takeover of the core systems. Since then, the platform had produced six Defender-class warships, starting with the Reliant."

I'm pretty sure this is a typo and it should say "starting with the Defender", but one thing of note here, is that the BV-01/02 are both under 10 years old. Wonder if they were lost during an FTL test?

(@will91)
Eminent Member

It's a good possibility that they could have been lost during an FTL test, but for some reason I feel like they were sent some where. I don't mean as in sent to Alpha Centauri for recon but sent some where to set up something. Like an outpost of some sorts. How else would they be learning about the Jung take over and rule of the AC system and other core worlds. As noted any times in the books distance is a large roll. Meaning that when the Aurora had to set out on the edge of the Sol system to peer back in time to watch the take over of Earth, how is it that they know about the take over of the AC so quickly? Somebody has to be doing some type of recon.

Will
http://the-frontiers-saga.wikia.com

Apoc
(@apocnebs)
Trusted Member

They had FTL runners/recon ships providing intel from them. That was mentioned in Ep8.

I agree with you about BV-01/02 though. I think they were 'lost' in the since that only a few people really know what they were sent to do, and everyone else believes they were killed.

(@will91)
Eminent Member

It'll be interesting to see where they come into play, if at all, in the upcoming books.

Mor
(@mordin)
Trusted Member

Did everyone notice Ryk put six Defender class ship patches up on here? So the discussion about 4 or 6 Defender-class ships has been settled by the Man Himself… sort of. Losing 2/6 of the only ships to stand between conquest and salvation seems pretty high. Maybe there is prequel material right there. That or Fan Fiction. What happened to those two ships?

I assumed that those ships suffered the same fate as the FTL scout, just before the Jung invasion. So I doubt we will see any of those ships, although now the namespatches are likely to be soon worn by new generation of Earth warships.

It looks likes some concept images were uploaded yesterday of the Defender class. It’s pretty cool, check it out at

I love those sketches, with its simplefunctional designs.

Apoc
(@apocnebs)
Trusted Member

I assumed that those ships suffered the same fate as the FTL scout, just before the Jung invasion. So I doubt we will see any of those ships, although now the namespatches are likely to be soon worn by new generation of Earth warships.

I would of assumed the same thing, but why would Mr. Brown pay the artist to create two sketches for the same series of ships? If BV-01/02 were to simply be destroyed, they would not need a artist sketch, and since he did take the time and funds to get that second sketch, I don't believe that BV-01/02 are out of the series yet.

Also, if they had FTL drives, and were destroyed by the Jung, that would of been used as a way to help fund the Aurora/Celestia development, and would of been mentioned. Since they are just 'lost', it stands that only the General would now know what happened with BV-01/02.

Gary
(@gbone)
Estimable Member

Wait a second. I remember discussing scouts, did I miss something? What happened to the scouts?

Apoc
(@apocnebs)
Trusted Member

Wait a second. I remember discussing scouts, did I miss something? What happened to the scouts?

In episode 8, it was mentioned that one of the FTL scouts was late. I don't think it was ever confirmed that they were destroyed though.

Mor
(@mordin)
Trusted Member

If BV-01/02 were to simply be destroyed, they would not need a artist sketch, and since he did take the time and funds to get that second sketch, I don’t believe that BV-01/02 are out of the series yet.

Neither do I, although I doubt that those will be the original BV-01/02/.. ships or necessarily play a role in this part of the series πŸ˜‰

(@dahedd)
Trusted Member

Right I'm going to be cheeky & bump a really old thread.

In episode 15 we now know the fate of the Defender & the Valiant. The Defender had major issues & never made it into service with many important being stripped for the Valiant which then catastrophically broke up in FTL.

What are the chances of the hulk of the Defender being anywhere & of said hulk being salvageable.

I know it won't happen but it's nice to dream. A Sol built Heavy Cruiser πŸ™‚

(@dahedd)
Trusted Member

OT.....

My above post was meant to say

'With many important systems being stripped for the Valiant'

The forum won't let me edit my post. Anyone else have this issue?

(@four-islands)

I think it has to be your last post, and you only have until someone else posts or something... its wierd, and I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about.

(@mikeg)
Trusted Member

The Defender class is dead. Only 6 created. 1 never made it out of basic production, 1 lost in shakedown/ftl trials and the last 4 lost to combat.

They were a great class (much like the Battleships), but lighter "capital" ships are needed now. What I think would be kick arse would be to revive the Defender structure (in a new class of course), and make it a straight up carrier for super eagles/falcons, maybe even the cobra's

create a battle group around this...think about the possibilities......you now have a fleet carrier, with multiple groups of on board fighters, cruisers, scouts (think subs), missile boats, resupply ships, troop ships for ground troops or even boarding of battle platforms. Get about 5 to 10 of these patrolling around the alliance, and you have a solid group for protection.

(@dahedd)
Trusted Member

I'm aware that one didn't make it out of basic production. I was pondering if the hulk of it was still parked in orbit somewhere.

(@four-islands)

No broken down for parts & Scrapped for Materials

Page 3 / 3
Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese