The Defender Class

45 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@wolfman)
Trusted Member

First off... WOOHOO!!! First post!
Anyway, My thinking on the Defender Class is that they have been described as MUCH larger the the Explorer class like Aurora. I'm also thinking that they should be rounded or elliptical in shape due to the large mass. They were meant to defend Earth so I'm thinking that weapons on all surfaces in all directions. The "bridge" should be as close to the center of mass as possible for maximum protection. Not a lot has been said about these ships in the books so the sky is the limit here. Anyone else think this might be good?

44 Replies
 PNW
(@thepnw)

I just picture Galactica when the Defender ships are fighting. Yay Battlestars!

Topic starter
(@wolfman)
Trusted Member

Oh wow!!! I was on that wavelength when thinking of the Defender ships... Get out of my head man!!! LOL oh and yes... YAY BATTLESTARS!!!

JD
(@jd)

While I LOVE BSG I was actually (and feel free to laugh) picturing The Heart of Gold design from the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy movie (it has it's moments), just a big ol' sphere with rockets on it's ass.

Of course I'm sure something a little less cartoonish would be better but it's clear from the design of the Aurora that none of these ships will look like Airplanes-In-Space like is common in most sci-fi.

I'm throwing my hat in for a big death star like design.

(@ericnay)
Reputable Member

Did everyone notice Ryk put six Defender class ship patches up on here? So the discussion about 4 or 6 Defender-class ships has been settled by the Man Himself... sort of. Losing 2/6 of the only ships to stand between conquest and salvation seems pretty high. Maybe there is prequel material right there. That or Fan Fiction. What happened to those two ships?

(@hamsterman)
Trusted Member

Oddly enough, I was expecting the Aurora/Celestia to look like the original BattleStar Galactica, only without the pylons, an enlarged rear end, and the underside smoothed out for atmospheric braking. I also imagined that the 'gap' along the sides between the front and rear would be a thin skirt 'runway/landing pad'.

Don't know what happened to BV-01 and BV-02, although I'm curious as to the designations. Way back between the first two World Wars, CV was "Cruiser, aViation" since they were kept under the weight considered Battleship (BB). Since they do launch fighters, maybe they were "Battleship, aViation"

(@dcl57)

If I remember correctly when Nathan is talking to the guy from the derelict ship Vlad describes them as big blocky and slow as molasses to borrow a phrase.

Apoc
(@apocnebs)
Trusted Member

I would think that BV-01 and BV-02 would be the prototypes for the other 4 ships, but considering how long Earth has been in space, I would doubt that the ships would be decommissioned yet. I would expect that if EDF had built FTL ships in secret, they might of put FTL's on the 01/02 as well for testing purposes as well, and didn't tell anyone about it. Would be an interesting short story about the history of 01 and 02, but I doubt that they will play a major role in the next few books. Aurora only has so much production capacity and a limited number of ZPED's currently, so it is not likely that you will see fleet battles yet.

(@hamsterman)
Trusted Member

Well, now we know what happened to the missing two Defender ships (Episode 9, location 4082):

"After losing two Defender-class ships without so much as a single engagement, we knew we were trying to move too quickly."

(@ttotten)

Agreed, that's where I'd point people as well. I'd say they lost them in a similar manner as the US Navy lost the Thresher, workmanship and quality. The final four were probably built under EDF's own version of "SubSafe".

(@ttotten)

I would also imagine the Defender-class as blocky, less curves and more angles. If not like BSG's Galactica, then something more along the lines of an enlarged SG-1 Prometheus (though with a buried CIC, obviously.) Spherical doesn't make sense (and wouldn't match well with the limited descriptions in Ep. 8, when they were in combat.)

(@elm-city)
Eminent Member

In my mind they look like the Nimbus from Futurama, but there is really no good reason for that.

(@colonialraptor)

I just feel like the defenders are big arse flying bricks with lots of guns. They were the first ships built and built to be gun platforms and I always imagine them to be shaped like this (if looking from the side and top).

That's very crudely done but that's how I imagine them. Sure there would be square lumps and various other features, but for some reason I can't get the image of big floating coffins out of my head.

(@ericnay)
Reputable Member

I also thought of the Defenders as large blocks of legos. I guess it doesn't really matter, as there are no more of the Defender Class left...

What will the Alien ships in Series Two look like? 🙂

(@colonialraptor)

Is that confirmed? Series 2 will have aliens?

Page 1 / 3
Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese