Clear all

Aurora Herself

41 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@elm-city)
Eminent Member

While the ship looks pretty close to how I imagined her - lovely lines, BTW - I am surprised by her size. Maybe I missed it in the books, but is she really almost 1500m long? Also, based on how long it takes people to move about her, it doesn't seem like she is quite that size.

40 Replies
(@ericnay)
Reputable Member

Hey, what about paint designs? I'm pretty sure one time Ryk discussed the paint scheme, with different colors on "top" and "bottom". I'd like to see red with some flames coming up from underneath, but that is just me... 😉

Eric

JD
(@jd)

Don't forget that i'm sure a LOT of her size comes from shielding. How thick are her walls? How close to the outside is any room? I bet a lot of her length comes from that. Still though...I'm not saying it explains it all.

Maybe the gravity plating is low enough that people just walk faster? I don't know...sci-fi reasons.

Topic starter
(@elm-city)
Eminent Member

If I read the specs right, she has 3M of armor all the way around the hull. This should account for maybe 7-8 additional meters of overall length. So it's not a whole lot of extra added size. I am perfectly comfortable being wrong about it, it's just somewhat surprising.

(@chrisnh67)

Love the design, so glad the site is up.

(@nuclearman)
Estimable Member

It does seem big, but a lot of volume is probably required for propellent, engines and supplies. There's also a good chance that the decks are rather thick. Also if it wasn't for that middle section being thinner, it would probably only be around 1000 m long. That probably makes it a few times the equivalent volume of a modern navy ship with similar capabilities (which would require a few ships combined), which given the conditions of space, seems fairly reasonable.

(@soloman)

I like the shape of Aurora, but am not able to look at the drawings as yet.
The ship has space for a number of Fighters, shuttle craft, Marines and the 100 "super soldiers" provided by Tug as well as her own Crew spaces. Fifteen Hundred metres does seem about right. It would be good to see the Deck plans (similar to what was done for USS Enterprise 1701E).
No pun intended, but watch this space.

(@falonthas)

you also have to take into account, the engines are completely enclosed save the actual exhaust cones end. this shows the engine well takes at least the back third of the 1500 meters as everytime a landing was described that the landing apron outside the actual landing bay was just over the massive engine setup, so that would make the entire back section engineering and the actual engines and reactors.

Topic starter
(@elm-city)
Eminent Member

I think what really answers my initial question is the engines. She's got the back end of a ship with much more mass than she herself has. She's just presented as a lighter craft and is nearly as long as (yes, I know I'm crossing universes here) as an Imperial Star Destroyer. Seeing the designs, I can see the size required, it just took me a bit by surprise.

(@tinkerer)

ummm, she looks just as Ryk described her inspiration piece - an upside down remote control. Not sure why there would be an upward curve from the bottom of her bow to her prow, but (shrug)...

Al
(@grafeeky)
Eminent Member

Didn't they mount a couple of fixed plasma cannons to either side? I didn't this on the specs.

(@ericnay)
Reputable Member

They converted one torpedo tube on each side (both front mounted) for fixed cannons, and were talking about converting science observatories into smaller plasma gun turrets that could rotate as needed. When last seen, the torpedo tube on the left (port) side was complete, while the one on the right still needed bulkheads to prevent the escape of noxious vapors into the torpedo room.

JD
(@jd)

Has anyone else noticed that the Aurora page has a brand new artist illustration of her, aka I have a new desktop wallpaper.

(@peacecraft)
Eminent Member

Although I love the ship and her sleekness my question is why didn't the EDF think about putting rail guns on her ventral side (aka her bottom) if the quads can move down there wouldn't smart thing is to add some guns so she could fire from all angles. I bet Capetian Scott would love some ventral rail guns as much as he flips "over" and shows that side to protect the flight apron and heat exchangers. Just my two cents... Like said I love her curves.

(@wolfman)
Trusted Member

Here Bottom side has much thicker armor for possible use in aerobraking and also for protection. during battle they can always turn that side to the enemy to provide cover for other ships and protection of other assets... 😉

Page 1 / 3
Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese