Clear all

Ryk's Log and Amazon Pricing

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@nuforce)

Ryk,

I just read your "Ryk's Log" regarding the changes in Amazon. Personally, I've felt from the beginning you were shorting yourself with your book and Kindle pricing. I've read many novels and series that cost far more than the Frontier Saga. In my humble opinion this series is an incredible entertainment value even without Kindle-Unlimited.

My recommendation is that you should charge more and I for one will gladly pay more for your works.

Keep on writing!!!
Nu

19 Replies
(@nuclearman)
Estimable Member

I'm not all that surprised by this. The kind of people who would pay for kindle unlimited are going to be the ones who are regular readers and read enough books a month to justify it. That of course means that the price of books will be low. The issue isn't really membership, but how cost effective the program is for readers as well as authors. Unfortunately, the better it is for readers, the worst it is for authors.

The issue being that many authors have books that have been on KU for too long or have too many books on KU. One only needs to read something like 2-4 kindle books to offset the monthly subscription cost. The easier it is for someone to find those few KU books they need, the less the authors gets.

It seems like KU is more suited as a promotional tool rather than having all or even simply most of an authors books be on KU at once. A potential alternative to offering the book for free or at a reduced price. Not familiar enough with Author's side of KU to say how practical the rest is is but here are my thoughts for what Ryk can do (if possible):

1. Offer a small number of the early books in series on KU always. A good option would be the first book or the first trilogy. Paying a low price for the first few books should make it easier for a reader to commit to the series. Here it's a cost-benefit question and depends on the (total) sales of the first book VS the newest book. Seems like it's probably worth putting the first book out for cheap (KU) then having the later books be somewhat more expensive. How much more roughly depends on how many people bought the previous book compared to the next.

2. Optional: Periodically offer other books on KU. There are a number of ways you can handle this. One option would be to rotate the books, so that while it's possible to read all the books on KU, it would take a while to do so. For example, if the minimium period of time a book an be on KU is 3 months, and you wanted to rotate though all books in a year. Then every 3 months another 1/4th of the books currently available would be on KU, while the books available for the last 3 months would be removed. You'd probably want to ensure that that newest book is not included as well as the ones offered in part #1. Those that really want to read the next books in the series will pay the money rather than wait 3 months. Seems rather likely that the people who wait, probably don't have much money to spare and getting some money is better than none.

Unless there is something preventing #2 from being used, it's my option that it's how KU should really be used. If any book is always available on KU, then there is no need for anyone to actually buy it (early books in a series is generally an exception). Although, it's useful to make it rather clear as to when the books will be on KU and for how long. If that can't be done (for years), then KU won't be good for anyone long-term.

In other words, having no books on KU seems detrimental to the reader. However, having more than a fraction of the books on KU seems detrimental to the author. Seems like there is a balance to be struck. It seems like for most authors, there is no reason to keep more than a small fraction of their books on KU, unless they were book that few people would read unless it was free.

A perhaps useful note: As for single books not part of a series, it seems largely up to the author. Though it's probably better to have sales instead, and perhaps put it on KU for the minimum amount of time for once a year (probably best around this time of year).

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

The three biggest problems with KU (from an author's perspective) are:
1. It requires exclusivity.
2. There is no way of knowing what the payout rate will be.
3. The enrollment period of 90 days is too long.

The other problem (although it is not a KU problem) is that you cannot take books on and off the other vendors shelves as easily as you can on Amazon. Some of them can take weeks or months. There have been many cases where even though an author took a book down from all vendors before they enrolled that book in Select (and therefore KU) a vendor continued to sell the book, causing that author to be penalized by Amazon for violation of the exclusivity requirement of Select, even though the author did take the books down.

Because of these factors, I cannot put episode 1, or the omnibus on Select/KU as a loss leader. The exclusivity requirement would prevent me from putting them up on other vendor platforms, therefore the subsequent episodes would likely not sell.

Kindle Unlimited has its advantages for authors, especially for new authors who are trying to build a readership, and for those who write shorter works. If I really wanted to work the system, I could cut each episode up into 10 sub episodes and put them on KU. Then I'd get $1.33 per short, netting $13.33 per full episode read. (After all, it wouldn't matter to the KU member since they aren't paying for each short.) But then I'd have to list each short for $0.99 (the minimum allowed) which would make a whole episode cost regular readers $9.99!

The whole thing is just plain screwy and ill-conceived, and I refuse to lose time and energy (and quite probably money) playing that game.

I have considered one thing, however. I may release 10,000 word shorts that are bridge chapters between episodes and put them up for $0.99 and in KU. I may also put up shorts that go back to the days of the bio-digital plague, or the later formation of the Jung empire. That might allow my to play the system, land some KU Allstar bonuses, feed you guys with extra content between full episodes, and still keep the episodic format that I've established in tact. (All while attracting new readers through KU.)

The problem, as usual, is time. I struggle as it is to get episodes out in 3-4 months, and the fingers aren't getting any better. Perhaps if I ever get this dictation thing going... Oh well.

Thanks for all yours support over this.

Ryk

(@glynnstewart)

*checks new pricing*

Yep, you're still under-charging, Ryk XD

Have you looked into Draft2Digital or Smashwords for expanding your distribution? I found Smashwords straightforward enough for my own work, and others have told me that Draft2Digital is even cleaner.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

I'm not too keen on aggregators like Smashwords or D2D. I've heard too many stories about problems getting titles taken down, and I don't like how Smashwords automatically puts your titles on to vendors without your permission. I've hired an assistant to take over all the detail work for me so that I can concentrate on increasing my output. After the last title falls out of Amazon Select/KU in the beginning of February, we are going to start putting all the titles up at the other popular vendors like iBooks, B&N, Kobo, and Google.

(@eagleone55)
Trusted Member

I agree that Ryk is undercharging. I love this series.

HOWEVER I am in a low income bracket. My Social Security checks barely pay my bills. The only way I can get books is thru KU. There are alot of people who love to read in the same place as I am..... Low income. The $10USD that I pay a month allows me to read between 10 to 20 books a month. So yes I get my monies worth out of KU.

I do not know Kindle unlimited's author policy(I am not an Author) I just wish it would stop screwing the authors that work so hard to get the books out to all of us. I have said to many author that I read... start getting together with other authors and FORCE Amazon to get more reasonable or they will no longer sell thru Amazon.

That is just my two cents.
Chris

(@nuclearman)
Estimable Member

That's pretty much the issue Chris. KU seems to be more beneficial to the readers, especially the poor ones, than the authors. Worst, the more benefit the readers get out of it, the less the authors do.

@Ryk: As for the biggest issues:
1. I wonder how well defined is Amazon's definition of exclusivity. You might be able to get around that by creating Amazon only "box sets", then having a set or two at a time on KU instead of the individual books. Though fair chance that Amazon would claim exclusivity on the individual books that make up the set, thus invalidating that approach. Still something to possibly look into. In the end, I suppose you do what you must.

2. Since the payout seems to be pool based, you can probably estimate this based on how many books are borrowed on average per KU subscriber. Looks like last months was $1.33 a book, making it "$10 / $1.33 = 7.6" or around an average of 7.6 books per subscriber. I think the lower limit for this is about $0.33 to $1.00 range (10-30 books a month), with the actual value being somewhat less from Amazon's cut out of that pool. Best option here is probably for Amazon to tier KU based on books borrowed per month or simply raise the cost by 1.5 to 2x as $10/month is too low (for the authors) for people who read 10+ books a month.

3. Fair enough, 90 days seems long. Again this seems intended to benefit the readers rather than the authors. Hard to say if Amazon would reduce this, as they probably have their reasons for why it's 90 days (3 subscription periods) rather than 30 or 60 days. It might be so long to ensure that the reader has a rather high chance of reading the book before the author could remove it from KU.

Also Ryk, breaking up books into smaller parts only makes it worst overall, since a reader is reading more books in the same amount of time, and "(Author payout) = (Monthly Subscription price) / (Average Monthly books read)".

(@eagleone55)
Trusted Member

I would say 60 days would be better. I tend to get the books when they come out(I am on the mailing lists of the Authors I read). I do not see why Amazon is such a Bully to the Authors!!! I wish I could go else where to get my books!!! But I bought a Kindle (sadly enough I love my Kindle. I am unable to hold a book for long periods due to an injury to my left arm) I wish I could read a normal book I love the feel and smell of books.

I know that is besides the point and going off topic. I will continue to support Ryk by buying his books. I will just cancel my KU subscription and buy Ryk's books when they come out.
That is my continued 2 cents
Chris

(@joshadn)

Ryk,
I personally would love to read more even if its mini series maybe do lead up to the bio-digital plague on how it happened and what did happen to earth during that time frame. Try and use it maybe to set up another ally in future or set up for how PC came about. Try and give us idea what technology was in the data ark. That we may see in future EP or next one. Maybe work on it during your break a short story of that time frame.

(@leonid480)

I am disappointed I wont be able to get your books for free. I would never have found your work if it were not for Amazon Prime. I am not sure why KU and the Amazon Prime lending library should be combined. At any rate Amazon is not making a mistake. They are forcing writers like you to drop out, meaning that when people now have to pay for your book Amazon is getting some of that $$$ instead of just dishing it out. I would be happy with $1.33 per title as I am just beginning to write books. I cannot dedicate much time to my writing if I cannot get a return. It is a smart move for Amazon and for you. Personally, being low income at the moment I would be inclined not to pay for your future stories though I enjoy them immensely. But, with the more personal connection this website provides I am persuaded to keep with the series (it will hardly drive me to the poor house). You must have a very good team to put a book out in three months; self editing is not possible in such a time frame from my experience.

(@nuclearman)
Estimable Member

At any rate Amazon is not making a mistake. They are forcing writers like you to drop out, meaning that when people now have to pay for your book Amazon is getting some of that $$$ instead of just dishing it out.

A fair point about dropping out, but Amazon doesn't care about that beyond it's effect on the total number of subscribers.

The reason being that Amazon is definitely taking it's cut, and it's probably at least the 30% they get for royalties. The difference that Amazon takes a cut directly from the subscription fee. While as I said before, authors make money based on books borrowed per subscriber.

KU is actually probably going to fairly self-balancing, as long as former subscribers are willing to rejoin when KU is again beneficial for authors. Payouts currently on a downswing, but that'll probably return to an upswing in payout given time as long subscribers don't leave too soon. Although, it's rather difficult to say how high that upswing will go before it turns into a downswing and how much of a difference there'll be between upswings and downswings. Though my estimate based on likely books/month most people can read is that it'll generally range between $1-$2 a book on average. Of course that can be lower if the people who read 10+ KU books a month become a significant fraction of the KU subscribers.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

All speculation aside, I simply do not like "all you can consume" subscription models. I don't write to be an artist, I write to make a living, and such models make it more difficult for me to do so. Regardless of whether or not Amazon makes KU attractive to authors once more, unless they drop their exclusivity requirements, I am out. They have proven time and again that they have no problem making changes as they see fit without regard to how it affects its content providers. I can no longer afford to take that risk. I had planned all along to begin releasing my work on the other major vendors after the first 15 books were completed, now I will have to do so sooner than that. (Which isn't a big deal, it just wasn't the plan.) Come February 5, all episodes will be out of Select/KU and I will be free to make them available on Apple, B&N, Google, and Kobo. Eventually, once my mailing list becomes large enough to guarantee a comfortable living, I'll sell them direct from my website as well. (Although that will require side loading, which some people don't care for.)

IF Amazon were to drop the exclusivity requirements, I would put all my work back into Select, as I would then have sales elsewhere to offset the losses due to the low payout-per-borrow rates.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Ryk

(@eagleone55)
Trusted Member

Ryk, Amazon IS a BULLY pushing authors around. As I have said Authors should get together and FORCE Amazon to change its policy!!! If enough authors got together they would have no choice but to change.

I WILL always support your efforts on selling Frontier Saga books I believe they are that good.
I hope you have good luck with the Dictation software.

(@leonid480)

You obviously feel very strongly Ryk.

I think I get it. There are a whole lot of books out there and some have marketing support that make them sound and look like the greatest thing ever. But these books are not any better then so many others that do not receive the same marketing support. Amazon gives you a marketing platform so independent authors can get an edge. Then they pull the rug out from under you, where you can't make a corresponding profit. If Amazon doesn't understand that authors like yourself who start rising in the rankings need to be properly compensated (and marketed) for both paties financial interests they are making a big mistake. I think they are just working the numbers. Hopefully a light bulb will go on.

(@hamsterman)
Trusted Member

I don't mind. In fact, I was using Prime to borrow an episode, then buying it. And I don't suppose Ryk is the only one who is going to make this move. Perhaps when I finish writing "CVL01-Mesocricetus Auratus - A Collection of Short Tails" then Amazon will charge me for each person who reads it! 🙂

Hamsterman

Page 1 / 2
Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese