Fall of the Core- spoilers here.

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Topic starter
(@gbone)
Estimable Member

Ryk,  are we going to see the timelines converge for this book and our regular series?

Loved this book.  I have to wonder what type of mischief an AI could get up to with a millennium of time and control of medical nanites.

7 Replies
(@ken-dale)
Trusted Member

So, now I'm trying to remember whether Kinnon has been mentioned yet in part one or two.... Anyone have an index or a copy of the writer's bible?

Selamiut
(@makahselamiut)
Eminent Member

I don't believe Kennon has been mentioned as yet.  It is 1400 light years away and in the direction of the Pentaurus Cluster.  My suspicion is based on that they were originally headed for 72 Herculis which is where Tanna is located.  Since they went way beyond that, I'm guessing they are in the neighborhood of where we have visited before in the story.

If you go to read.amazon.com on your PC you can see all your books you've purchased.  Most have a word searchable ability.  I look stuff up this way about the stories.

Selamiut
(@makahselamiut)
Eminent Member

In general I thought this was a delightful story, I really enjoyed it and hated for it to come to an end.  That's partially why it's 8/7 before posting, I didn't want to story to end.

You know, until, at the end of the story, the five men were wondering around, it didn't occur to me they were all women that survived.  I thought that was quite clever.

But the time to get to, wherever they are, 1079 years, dovetails quite nicely with our main story timeline.  I would be disappointed if we didn't see Hanna, Petra, Erica, Martina, and Maggie ever again.  I know Nathan has from time to time said he didn't know who created the bio-digital plague.  Now we know and it's still active, hibernating, but around.  Hanna has made her recordings of her version of events, so even if they don't survive, a record of the events has.

Loved it and I am looking forward to the possibility of seeing Hanna again.

(@nycaurorafan)

Here's what I'm hoping...I'm an avid reader of the series and have read all 30 books in Parts 1 and 2 plus Fall of The Core.   As we all know, the origin of the bio-digital plague has been the fundamental back drop to the entire series.  I'm personally hoping that Part 3 brings it all together and pits Nathan and crew against the now-free AI that created the plague.  Didn't part 2 end with Nathan wanting to go off and explore previously un-identified human settlements?  

I haven't done the math on 1079 years after Fall of the Core, but my guess is that it's right around the end of part 2 of the main series, and if one travelled 1400 light years in the direction of 72 Herculis, that would put them past the pentaraus cluster, i.e. past Siltek and the other worlds further out identified in Part 3.

I am hoping that Ryk has set up the rogue AI to be the "big bad" of part 3.  Interesting to me was that in Fall of The Core, the AI's primary directive was reprogrammed not as "fix the plague and save humanity" but "preserve yourself."   What if the reason the AI sent them out so far and then dropped them off 1400 light years away with a plan to survive was because it was the best way for him to survive?   My guess is that Part 3 begins with Nathan finding the surviving characters from Fall of the Core and some other force/group finding the rogue AI.

Just a thought--but it would be so cool if this was a a great set-up for part 3!

Two other thoughts questions:

(1)  Victor Cassan's empire that is mentioned in Fall of the Core--is that what became the Jung?

(2)  The group that created the rougue AI--will they be found?   Where are they now?   If they are found, they will be the first group found in the series that (should) have a full knowledge and record of human history as they would have presumably been unaffected by the bio-digital plague.

2 Replies
(@mike_b)

Eminent Member

@nycaurorafan I have to agree that it would be a great setup for Part 3!

It would be surprising if Ryk designed the arc in Part 3 to end where the group (your #2 statement) is actually where the Jung Dynasty began (the original ones that formed it).  Or the people who originally colonized the Pentarus Cluster.

(@codeknight)

@nycaurorafan I forget which book it was but in part 2 its mentioned that the Jung Founder raided other colonies because they didn't have the resources to survive and his last name was Jung so its not Victor Cassan.

(@mike_b)
Eminent Member

Granted, I had been 'complaining' earlier in different threads about how long it's taken, but so far, it's been well worth the wait!

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese