Notifications
Clear all

Approximate size of Seiiki / Mirai?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@jim_leahy)

This may have been answered before but if it has, I can't seem to find it. I'm just wondering approximately how big the Seiiki is. I remember she was able to carry about 150 refugees per trip when she was on the mission to rescue the stranded crew and passengers from the Asa-Cafon, the ship loaded full of mini ZPEDs that the Dusahn gunboat destroyed when they first conquered the PC. That seems like she would have to be pretty sizable, maybe somewhere in the vicinity of a Boeing C17 Globemaster III (about 175 feet long, 18-ish foot wide fuselage) or perhaps even bigger. But based on the picture of the Seiiki depicted on the cover of Rescue, she appears much smaller than that, mostly because of the size of the cockpit windows and cabin door. The cover art also doesn't seem to jive with the description we're given of the Mirai when Captain Navarro originally gifts her to Deliza. I remember talk of abnormally high ceilings, a balcony, staircases, and so on. Does anyone have any insights they can share? 

3 Replies
(@four-islands)

The Seiiki is a small ship or large shuttle, it was a superyacht with a high ceiling foyer and sweeping stairs to upper floor rooms, but when it was refit for cargo and later passengers the whole luxury section would have been gutted, and additional walls and floors would have been added to better utilise its interior space for its new role.

Airplanes are generally long, skinny and tubular main hulls, where as spaceships dont need to worry quite as much about aerodynamics. The seiiki is described as having smooth lines and being quite spacious, but please remember that this is from the point of view of people used to cramped confines.

Hope that this helps

Topic starter
(@jim_leahy)
Posted by: @four-islands

Hope that this helps

It does! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. After considering it further, I think I can accept that the Seiiki pictured on the cover of Rescue is plausible since those 150 refugees she transported in a single run all had to stand ("standing room only...!" or something to that effect) so it's not that hard to believe that a group 10 people long by 15 people wide could cram in there, especially if the ship's dimensions are kind of distorted due to perspective. The fact that the Mirai originally had a master suite plus five additional staterooms before becoming the Seiiki really throws me for a loop but like you said, these people are used to very tight spaces so those staterooms were probably tiny.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

I don't have the actual dimensions handy, but I'll try to explain.  The original shuttle gifted to Deliza (and then to Nathan AKA Conner Tuplo) was a personal yacht for Cpt Suvan Navarro. It's interior included a cockpit, a galley, a main salon (think living/dining room) with a staircase that went up to a master suite, all with corridors that ran from the cockpit along either side all the way aft. Under the master suite, (and slightly lower than the main salon level) was a cargo bay about the size of a 2-car garage. (But with a slightly higher ceiling.) On either side of that cargo bay (across the corridors) were 2 crew cabins and a shared head on either side, for a total of 4 cabins. So, basically speaking the interior of the Mirai had a square footage similar to a compact 5bed/3bath home with a 2-car garage. (Think about 2000 sqft) Just space-wise, you could easily fit far more than 150 people, but the life-support system wouldn't sustain them even for the short journey. (O2 cyclers wouldn't be able to keep up with all that CO2.)

Now, the new Navarro-class shuttles are very similar in size and design, especially in the interior spaces. The biggest difference with their interiors is that 1) there is no master suite above the cargo bay; 2) the interior spaces are modular. The midship bay (where the main salon was), the cargo bay, and the side bays (where the crew cabins and heads were) can all be dropped out of the bottom and swapped out, and in very little time. This enables the shuttles to be used for a variety of missions.

So, way bigger than Star Trek's Galileo shuttle.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese