Notifications
Clear all

Jumping inside shields

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@tinkman)

In the first episode or two the Aurora was able to jump within the Jung shields to fire on their ships. Without trying to spoil anything for those who haven't read Episode 15, why couldn't Aurora jump inside the shield encompassing the asteroid and ring?

8 Replies
Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

The Aurora was never able to jump inside Jung shields. They were able to jump inside Ta'Akar shields. The Jung ships encountered in episode one were only gunships, and did not have any shields. Jung ships that did have shields weren't encountered until the Aurora got back to Earth.

(@four-islands)

I do love how the Ta'Akar, who have better shields, left gaping holes for Jump ships to exploit, while the Jung, with they're less advanced/different shields, somehow do not have that problem.

I think it has more to do with layering of shields in such a way that they overlapped but did not touch, which allowed gapes in the shields but in such a way that they would not have allowed direct impacts on the hull, but would have allowed objects which changed direction to navigate through.

I can never understand how nuke's exploding on such shields would not have had some of the blast get through to the hull of the ships by rebounding off shields and passing though the gaps... but then again those Takaran scientists are very smart.

(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

Josh and Loki (and subsequent flight teams) were able to jump between the Jung's layered shields on battleships and battle platforms in their Falcons, but that was because of gaps between the individual shields themselves like Four Islands said. It does sounds convenient though that smaller ships like the Falcons could jump between them and fly beneath them along the hull, but ships such as the Aurora apparently don't have accurate enough targeting systems to place plasma fire on the exposed sections of hull between shields. But interestingly, Jessica was able to accurately fire all of the Aurora's railguns at an exact spot on the Yamaro's stern in the First Battle of Darvano. Granted the exposed sections of hull on the Jung ships probably didn't have critical systems behind them, but possible secondary explosions could have caused a chain reaction that would have disabled or destroyed more critical systems protected beneath adjacent shields. The likelihood of that happening is probably not very high, but someone could have scored that "one in a million" shot accidentally if not intentionally.

(@dahedd)
Trusted Member

Ok here's a question. Are the shields now fitted to Auroras, the Karuzara & Celestia 🙁 & the Gunships based on Takar tech ? If so are they subject to overlapped "plates" and therefore have gaps.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

The Takaran shields do not have gaps, and they do not overlap. They form a seamless bubble around their ships. But they were primarily designed to defend against energy weapons, not projectile weapons. They worked against projectile weapons, but also depended on their thick, armored hulls to protect them against projectiles. That's one of the reasons that it took so long to get shields for the Aurora. They need something that would be more effective against projectile weapons, since that is what the Jung use. It wasn't until they captured the Jar-Keurog and had a chance to reverse engineer their shields that they were able to develop a hybrid of the two shield technologies.

The reason the Aurora was able to go through the Takaran shields (although it was a bumpy ride and did some damage) was because they were in the jump at the time, and the jump field offered them some small amount of protection. (However, contact with the Takaran shields did bump them out of the jump.)

The Jung shield gaps exist between layers, with overlaps. For example, shield A may be 500 meters away from the ship, while its neighboring shield B is 450 meters away from the ship. Then shield C is 500 meters out, and so on. Since the shields overlap a bit, any fire directed at the gap would strike the lower shield. And the gap is too small for a large ship to get through.

Keep in mind that such overlapping shields are only present on the battleships and battle platforms. This is due to their size, and the limitations of the amount of area that a shield can cover, along with power requirements and such. The smaller ships use closer in bubble-type shields, which are also much weaker.

(@four-islands)

Think of the Romans and how they used to place they're shields into a tortoise shape to protect from arrows. They overlap but there will obviously be gaps. Generally the gaps in a ships Shields will be at angles such that they do not lead to the hull of the ship.

The Alliance ships and I guess the Jung ships too have individual shields that working together to form the full shield. We saw the Jar-Bencaptured move power between different shield sections and also different shields were fairing better then others in battle "average shield strength" and they had the Takaran Shields (Pretty sure they upgraded the shields and weapons to Takaran equipment.) And the battle platforms had the same problem with the fighters. Its all very difficult to get your head around, but if you change your direction mid passing though shields gaps you will not his into the second layer of the next shield segment and will then have a free shot on the hull. but obviously if the shields have not been mapped that's a dangerous maneuver(and will result in you crashing into a solid shield and hopefully damaging it enough for the next guy to get through easier...)

Also I'm not sure the Karuzara ever had shields... she had kilometers of rock which seemed to work just as well. and multiple layers of Jump emmitters for redundancy. they even have trusters to turn the rock slightly (we they had a guy who put thrusters on other Rocks to move them to Corinair's orbit... but I can only assume they went ahead and did that for the 1000+ LY journey they took)

Jumping near to and then sliding though gaps / jumping straight through are different things and result in different amounts of not being in a good place.

(@foralair)

Ok, something that has been bothering me for 11 episodes now (I have read through every episode published so far)....what would be the problem with simply jumping a nuke/destabilized antimatter reactor/standard missile into the center of an enemy ship and setting it off?
I am assuming that we have not seen this particular avenue explored yet in depth for good reason...that reason being either I am missing something obvious, or it is going to take place eventually.
I noticed that the concept of jumping into a space already occupied has been explored conceptually on repeated occasions as a precautionary exercise against the dangers of doing so with a ship...I am really hoping to see some experimentation on the concept with weapons testing i.e. Nuke vs solid asteroid and nuke vs hollowed-out asteroid, as both scenarios represent plausible uses for such a weapon (hollowed out asteroid to represent a ship for instance.

(@four-islands)

The Jump drive is not like a teleporter from startrek. It builds a field around an object and with the velocity of that object, makes it so that the energy dumped into the field removes time from the "distance over time" equation.

Basically you still travel from X to Y over that distance, though that space, it just takes zero time to do it.

Jump fields fail when they hit something big enough, they fail on contact, so if you hit a shield/hull with your jump field (which is what would happens) the jump field fails and your object would either hit the shield/hull or have to maneuver to avoid it.

You can jump missiles into the shields of a ship, but for accuracy you jump them nearby so that they can target better.

The Takaran Shields in the early books had layered shields (like the scales of a lizard) which have gaps, and those gaps allowed for small objects to slip in / jump in, the Jung have bubble shields which don't allow that. so crashing a jump object into the shields would be your best outcome you would be able to expect.

Wish we could jump nukes into the jung ships too, but they could do it back so that would suck.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese