Clear all

Fact check: Flight Mechanics

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

So far we've seen that there were two different modes of flight before the creation of the jump drive: STL flight using electrical accelerator tunnels to propel propellant out the end of the ship to provide thrust and FTL flight using the STL method to achieve a conversion speed before mass cancelling fields lowered the mass of the ship allowing it to translate into FTL. What I would like to know is...

1) Could a mini-ZPED tied into the accelerator tunnels provide short boosts to the STL engines similar to our present day afterburners on fighter aircraft? Could the same mini-ZPED be operated continuously or would it overstress the accelerator tunnels?
2) Assuming the mass of a ship has a direct impact on the amount of propellant used to accelerate it, could the mass canceling fields used in obsolete FTL system be used in STL flight to reduce the mass of the ship with a corresponding reduction in the amount of propellant expended? And, if yes, would the "lightened" ship achieve a higher acceleration rate with a higher attainable maximum velocity?

2 Replies
(@palmer)
Trusted Member

Isn't there a 3rd way, which the Jung Battle platform uses, Folded space.

As to the first one point, I like it and it sounds plausible in the universe to Ryk has created. It could be used for KKV launches and as a last minute dodge in a battle. and you have added a limit it to it so it cannot be abused and it's something that an inexperienced or reckless Captain could fall a cropper too.

as to you second point I would think that something Ryk needs to decide, from the explanations the FTL you travel depends aupon the STL speed you are going at conversion, now weather that means a gradual reduction in the ships mass or an instances one is the key. if it's like an on off switch than as soon as you turn it on and apply thrust your going FTL if it's gradual you would need some fine manipulation to dial the fields down enough to stay STL, which in it's self might be tricky. I would say.

(@four-islands)

I think that powering up FTL fields for use in non FTL flight would be very dangerous, especially if you intend to maneuver. I imagine that FTL emitters are attuned to the shape of a ship, as it travels in one very specific direction.

FTL fields take time to form, so I imagine that in combat you would need to be very careful about when and where you would use that tactic.

FTL fields need power, and in a battle, you would have shields, weapons and engines drawing a lot of power, where do you get the additional power for the FTL?

The Aurora used the mini ZPEDs to help boost their propulsion when they were almost trapped in a black hole (how long were they trapped by the way? was it two hours or four days? who can keep track with event horizons!) I would imagine that the use of extremely high speed gases would increase the wear and tear rate on the engines, so I would also recommend only limited use of Mini ZPEDs for "Afterburn".

The folder space method of FTL is safer but requires much more power then standard FTL and was in the Data Ark.

I don't think the standard KKV needs any radical improvement in its maneuverability by way of partial FTL fields. The use of stronger maneuvering thrusters and application of its main drive for vector correction would be plenty good enough in the very limited time it would have available to strike its target. And the JKKV would not have the room for a second drive type to be added.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese