Notifications
Clear all

Alternative uses for jump tech

36 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@loki)
Eminent Member

What about using the jump tech to steal enemy assets? We talk about jumping planets in another thread and I got to thinking how they would do it. You couldn't mount the emitters on a planet like the did the asteroid base so they would have to use satellites or drones to englobe the object. You could do the same to a shipyard or battle platform. Jump in to a Jung system, send in Telles to incapacitate a shipyard but leave it intact, then the aurora deploys drones to surround the platform. Then jump the whole thing away. You may not be able to steer it, but location is now irrelevant. As long as you don't need solar power you could place it anywhere in deep space and it would be almost impossible to find. Boom ship building infrastructure ready to go. Raw material isn't an issue since it be jumped in on demand. Same works for arms and fuel depots. They could capture strategic assets and not have to defend or raid in place.

(@four-islands)

if the emitter drones are fast enough they can jump in individually, change direction sand jump out in a cluster with large objects like defensive satellites and strand them into deep space where the drones could then jump clear individually. Why destroy what you may be able to capture later?

(@justin)
Estimable Member

Man, it has been four months since this thread had an update. Time to change that!

I reread the series over the last few days and one thing caught my attention that I do not believe has been addressed here in the forums. That would be Roselle sending comm data to Karuzara regarding the jump field overloading the Jung power systems. I wonder if we will see a JKKV alternative. Instead of being a KKV, it would be a slow and silent ship disabler. Something of a similar design - just a few energy banks, a single jump emitter, and made out of materials that can be dissolved using a cold burn (like the Corinari HALO gear). Launch from a few light minutes out, jump directly at the battleship, let their shields eject the drone out of jump, land on the hull, release the cold burn dust and jump before the field generators are burned down. From there you could take the ship with a handful of Ghatazhack to coordinate a hundred or so Alliance soldiers.

(@four-islands)

I like your style, but 3 things.

1) It was the Takaran Shields that disrupted the Jump Field. Jung Shields are different.

2) Jumping though the Takaran Shields damaged the Aurora / it would destroy a Modified Comm Drone

3) The Cold Burn is the result of a chemical reaction between powder and air, set of by a spark from striking the container with the lid. It is not instantaneous it takes a minute or two to burn up a corinari reentry suit, I would imagine it would be similar if not longer to burn the components of the "Ice-cream Scooper" Jump Field Cutting Drone - my point being: no Air, no reaction, powdery jump components for the Jung... as long as they don't bring it inside and smoke while looking at it...

Keep thinking about it, find solutions to the problems or find new tech and submit them. We may see them in the story at some point!

Topic starter
(@nuclearman)
Estimable Member

Fair idea Justin, though seems better to just have the drone unmanned and explode upon impact with the shields/hull, which probably makes it more of a jump-mine. I use mine as it seems like they wouldn't be able to move much, relatively speaking and they'd explode on contact.

Though it may require a number of them working together to take down the shields or destroy the target.

The gravity-like effects from the ZPD seem like they could be useful as well for trapping an enemy ship in place or making it harder to flee. Though this would probably need a mucher higher production of ZPDs, and thus would probably not happen for a few books.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

Keep in mind that shields do stop incoming physical objects up to a point. If there is enough kinetic energy in the incoming object (and we're talking a lot of kinetic energy here) then the shield will fail. However, the object still doesn't reach the ship, as it is destroyed when it imparts its kinetic energy to the shield causing it to collapse. This is why they never launch a single KKV at a shielded target, like a Battleship or a Battle Platform.

However, I do like the idea of using a single KKV to collapse the shields, and then follow up with another jump-capable device designed to penetrate the hull and prepare it for boarding.

BTW: I do take ideas from the forums and work them into the stories. Sometimes directly, and sometimes an idea that won't work sparks one in my mind that will work. And I do check all new posts every morning. (Kind of an addiction, really.)

Page 3 / 3
Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese