Clear all

Fan Art: I Made The Eagle!

16 Posts
10 Users
4 Likes
Topic starter
(@domglino)

Hello everyone!

I'm a huge fan of this series and have been with it since 2014. Additionally I am a 3D artist and love doing stuff in this exact kind of genre. Well, about 12 months ago I was looking at the concept art and began to get really attached to the Eagle concept design... so I decided to try my hand at it.
Until recently I worked a full time job (now, going back to college) and It has been an on and off again project ever since. Lately I have had more free time and began to sink much needed hours into the project and finally finished it! (Mostly). There is a ton of information about this craft that I am unsure about (e.g. Weapons placement? Strange extrusions on top of the Eagle? More Data, etc...) I am hoping I can get some feedback from the community... or @rykbrown himself 😉
Nonetheless, The model itself has an immense amount of detail that I just could not fit into one image. I may make an album full of renders depending on feedback.

Another thing I like to do is animate stuff I make, therefore literally everything I design in 3D is made with the possibility of animations in its future. That means Engine, Canopy, Landing Gear, Wings, You name it. It's all rigged and ready to go. A long term plan of mine is to make one of my favourite scenes from the book. But that's a whole separate can o' worms in itself.

Without further ado, Enjoy!

Eagle Diagram

All rights reserved to the author, artist and this publication. This is solely a not-for-profit fan activity, and in no way intends to infringe on copyrights held by Frontiers Saga Publishing or other professional Frontiers Saga agencies... so uuh... Not mine, don't sue...

15 Replies
(@four-islands)

Looks like a lot of work was put into that, good job, it looks really good!

Topic starter
(@domglino)

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I know it's not very active around here between episodes, but I was hoping do get much needed feedback on the design of the Eagle, whether it be critical or not. A lot of it I had to make up due to lack of detailed information and not having the greatest memory of details in previous book episodes. For example on the concept art it looks like there's a Vertical Lift Fan just behind the cockpit but I can't recall the Eagle ever doing any vertical takeoffs or landings. Also the weapons bay.

Traditionally what do you all think of the overall shape? I deviated from the concept a bit making it more "Fighter-like" but a friend of mine made an observation about the original concept and then mine that I may ultimately be updating and redoing.

1 Reply
 Lani
(@lani)

@domglinoi think it’s great, looks like I pictured the Eagle in my mind. I also am a huge fan of Ryks books.  I mostly listen as it’s a great tool for relaxing at night. Some days I have to listen all day. As I do I see the story unfold in my mind. Ryk is so incredible in his writings. I can’t imagine how someone can come up with such complex stories and sub stories. It’s fantastic. Wonderful characters that I would terribly miss if I can’t get the next book. Nathan and Tellis are my favs but to many others to name them all, oh and Vlad! And Josh and Lokie, lol I could go on. 

Keep writing if you can Ryk we really love your books! And I love that they are mostly clean.

carol Phillips 

(@four-islands)

Remember that the Eagle while being based on a lift body plane is actually a space fighter. Don't be afraid of making it a little more bulky. In saying that it is very sleak and I like it. The Eagle could lift vertically using its thrusters I imagine but it would be more fuel efficient to take off with its lift body. On the aurora's flight deck the gravity is turned down to make vertical take off more practical. Also it's a jump ship so add emitters.

Don't be afraid to adjust the shape or size. The material we have to work with is drawn cartoonishly and vaguely worded so that we can fill in the missing pieces with our minds. Like all good authors Ryk knows the best art happens in our heads.

Juan C Valentin
(@jucaval01)
Eminent Member

Good job!

Topic starter
(@domglino)

@four-islands

Remember that the Eagle while being based on a lift body plane is actually a space fighter. Don’t be afraid of making it a little more bulky.

That is something I am definitely going to be reshaping a bit now. The friend of mine that I had look at it had a similar(ish) comment. He remarked that the concept looks like it is trying to be more like a traditional rocket shape, but a fighter too. I guess what I need to do is adjust the usage ratio between space and atmosphere. I designed it more like it's 75% atmo/25% space.

Also, this specific model, I am focusing on prior to the jump-modification. I have a couple ideas, but really I'm still trying to flesh-out the emitters still myself since there's no reference to its appearance. I might just take an easy route and make them primitive half-spheres dotting a ships surface as a sort of placeholder until the actual designs are figured out.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

Nose looks a tad long. Otherwise, nice. I'll take a dozen.

1 Reply
(@mikeg)

Trusted Member

@rykbrown. Only a Dozen?  maybe dozen squadrons?

Topic starter
(@domglino)

Alright, I'm back, and with an update! I was busy for a brief time, but had time today. I took the comments and made some alterations to the central fuselage area in particular. Giving it a more Bulky look, closer to the actual concept art. I've got my work cut out for me since the Commander wants a dozen 😛

(@kgb08)

Hello. Nice job on the eagle. I do all of the 3d modeling for Ryk's ships...except for the Aurora. There is an actual 3d model for the eagle.

1 Reply
 Lani
(@lani)

@Kevin brown  where can we view them?

Bill Fuller
(@buffalo24a)

I think it is a good design and great work! Thanks for the effort from one fan to another.

(@demian)
Trusted Member

Is it available, @kgb08?

(@mike_b)
Eminent Member

Nicely done, but the 3-view reminds me a lot of either the present-day F-35 or F-22.

(@mike_b)
Eminent Member

Now, to get going on the other types of ships that haven't already been modeled in the Concept Art area.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese