Clear all

Typos/Errors?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Norm
Topic starter
(@loopback)

I first read through the series back when Sanctuary was the last episode published.

I have been doing a re-read of of the entire series to get back into the feel of the universe, and I've noticed typos and other minor errors as I progress and I've been annotating them as I go.

Is there any interest or method for submitting these for later correction?

8 Replies
(@four-islands)

Apparently as a amazon kindle reader you can flag edits to amazon and they update the text, and you can download an updated text. I don't know how but I will try to find out this weekend and update you. since I found out about that feature I have been meaning to use it but I have always gotten carried away by the story... and also knowing there is a feature and knowing who to use it are two different things...
I imagine Ryk will go back though the books himself when he had all 75 books done and do a second edition or have his editor review the back catholog at some point...
Either way good work keeping note of those little foibles!

5 Replies
(@mike_b)

Eminent Member

@four-islands apparently I have an older Kindle reader, as mine won't let me do that.

(@four-islands)

@mike_b if you highlight the part that is in error, the option bar that pops up should give you a list of options, and a button. for further options. the last further option should be report content errors

(@four-islands)

@mike_b if you highlight the part that is in error, the option bar that pops up should give you a list of options, and a button. for further options. the last further option should be report content errors

(@mike_b)

Eminent Member

@four-islands My Kindle is a Gen 3; doesn't let me do that.  I just remember seeing the errors, and they were (in my personal opinion) just minor ones that didn't really detract from the story, but could've been corrected in advance of publication.

(@mike_b)

Eminent Member

@four-islands I tried doing that and I keep getting a "Communication error" and it won't send the edits.  It's connected to my WiFi and receives new books no problem, so I don't know what the problem is.....

(@darkscribe)
Estimable Member

If Ryk were to do edits or an omnibus of Part I, I would definitely recommend a removing a lot of Episode 1.

(@mike_b)
Eminent Member

As a possible 'suggestion' to Ryk, one of my other favorite sci-fi authors, Jeff Chaney (JN) co-writes several series and he/they have some of their 'select (only a few of their regular readers - including me - who are also subscribed to their "JN Chaney's Renegade Readers" Facebook Group) as part of a separate "Chaney's AR Team" (separate FB group from the "Renegade Readers" group) group, where they allow them to 'pre-read' the upcoming books BEFORE they're sent to the publisher (via Google Docs) and to only make SUGGESTIONS (not actual edits - that's up to the authors) insofaras grammar, missing punctuation, etc. - basically a pool of "proofreaders" to assist with making the books better before they're sent to the publishers.

@Ryk, this would be, of course your choice whether or not to do something like this, but I think it would help; I'm in the process of re-reading the FS series (both parts - up to Part 2, Book 14 so far) and I've noticed several minor errors in them (again, grammar sometimes, syntax, etc) that could've been taken care of with a pre-read/suggestion forum.  IF you do decide to do something like this, maybe choose some of your readers from this forum, at random (maybe only 6 or 7 at the most) and allow only them access to the Google Docs page?

And, by the way, I tried joining the forum more than a year and a half ago, but only recently have been able to log-on and post, as the system kept rejecting me, even though I know I was using the correct logon info previously.

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese