Clear all

Format of ep15

36 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@dahedd)
Trusted Member

Whilst I'm loving the book do far, sat on 48% I'm having issues reading it particularly the action sequences.

It jumps from location to location, character to character, ship to ship with no breaks in the text. It's a tad confusing.

Is this an issue with my download or formatting or is it an editing problem?

As I said I'm loving the book, hate Cpt Dubyk though(he's evil & gotta be up to something)

35 Replies
Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

During complex combat sequences in which the location shifts from place to place, (Aurora to Celestia to Falcon to Jar-Benakh, etc...) I've always used three empty lines between subscenes. Then I always try to start the next subscene with mention of the location within the first sentence or two. I don't like using the standard scene breaks (* * *) as they tend to disrupt the flow and tension of an action sequence. However, with the Kindle (as well as with printed books to some extent) if the subscene break occurs at the same location as a page break, it is really easy to miss that there is a break there.

I'm thinking about developing some other symbol to use for such subscene breaks, although I haven't decided which yet.

Of course, it is also possible that one of my editors removed a break and I didn't catch the mistake when processing their edits. I will double check.

Topic starter
(@dahedd)
Trusted Member

Thanks Ryk. Sorry to trouble you with this.

Up to 70% and loving it. Makes my commute fly by.

(@four-islands)

For the most part its fine Ryk, but there are 2 occasions (possibly more) where in the middle of the page the conversations are suddenly on a different ship about a different part of the battle. No lines, middle of the page.

All it needs is for the three lines to be added in / added back in and when I reread I will try to remember to post where I see them.

Other then that Great story and well written!!!

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

I have gone through the file again, and I cannot find any subscenes without the 3-line break between them. (And this was in a file downloaded from Amazon.) So I have no explanation as to why some of you have missing subscene breaks. Unfortunately, if the file I uploaded is correct, (and I checked it as well) then there is nothing I can do. The problem must lie in the software, or in the formatting differences from one device to another. (My check was done on a paperwhite.)

(@four-islands)

andriod Kindle app for me, and it really isn't that big of a deal.

(@ericnay)
Reputable Member

I have seen the lack of a break at least in books 14 and 15, iPad Kindle app for the most part. I'll go check other formats.

(@mobius)

Noticed the lack of breaks with kindle on android tablet too. Took a little getting used to. Not the first time a book has gone a bit wonky on one of the various kindle versions (not just your books). Perhaps it has to do with amazon compressing multiple line breaks? Maybe if they(amazon) pays by the page, and authors are using multiple line breaks to 'game the system' for additional page counts, amazon just removes the extra breaks. Just a thought on why it might happen. Then again others didn't notice the issue, so maybe I'm blowing smoke.

(@overender)

I did not have breaks in the subscenes reading on a Kindle Voyage. Took a little bit to decipher when it jumped but I enjoyed the book, including the ending. Looking forward to the next part.

(@adrenalnjunky)

Since the battle-action scenes were the only ones where the lack of spacing happened, I almost thought Ryk was experimenting with a new stream-of-consciousness narrative style to let the reader feel how intertwined all of the different settings/ships/teams were in those few minutes before and during battle-action. It almost worked that way too. I thought maybe if the beginning of each line where we jumped to a different vessel/situation there was a simple [Aurora], or [Falcon One], [Cobra Command] or whatever, it would have worked out perfectly.

But, it is all kind of moot when Ryk states he wasn't trying to go for something like that. Oh well.

I saw it on the PC Kindle reader, and in the Android app on a Galaxy S4 phone, and a Galaxy Tab 4. Again, really only happened during battle sequences.

Admin
(@rykbrown)
Illustrious Member

I am really pulling my hair out here. I didn't do anything different than in any of the previous episodes. Every POV change within a fluid battle sequence was preceded by my usual 3 empty line break, just like in the previous episodes. I also was careful to get reference to location within the first sentence or two. I have checked the file I uploaded, and it was not missing any of the POV breaks. I purchased the book from Amazon, and viewed it on 5 different Kindles, my iPhone, and the Kindle app on my PC, and all the POV breaks are in there, just like in the final manuscript file that was uploaded. I am at my wits end on this. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it is only occurring for people who are reading through Kindle Unlimited? (There's a chance that the empty lines were removed by KU to keep the page counts down?)

Is that the common denominator?

I don't want to put another symbol in there, as I feel like it breaks the tension of the battle. If I have to, I guess I can go back and Drop cap the first letter, or Bold it, or small cap the first word. But then the formatting would not match the previous episodes.

I am at a loss.

Gary
(@gbone)
Estimable Member

I am on my iPhone 5 at the moment. Loc 4307 is one spot the break is missing for me. I did preorder and download the first hour or so, maybe that is it. Strange.

I am a Prime but not KU member.

(@olympe)
Trusted Member

I'm not using Kindle unlimited, but pre-ordered and downloaded your book within about 15 minutes of it being available. I use a kindle paqerwhite.

Maybe the common denominator is a different one, like having ordered from outside the US?

(@helly)

Yes I'm not in the US and I am on kindle paperwhite too. I didn't mind no gaps, it's pretty obvious who Ryk is meaning.

(@overender)

I am in the US but I did pre-order. Could that be it?

Page 1 / 3
Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese