Clear all

Finally, Sci-fi worth reading

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@waynedcam)

Dear Ryk,

I have spent the last 2 week devouring Episodes 1-11. Good sci-fi is so hard the find that I spend most of my reading time reading fantasy as there are many more options in the "continuing series" and "saga" categories. I had just about given up hope, then I found The Frontiers Saga. Thank you sir!

I read where you said your ideas were not all that original, but I beg to differ. A universe where humanity is only sentient species (so far anyways) is indeed refreshing. So many authors get "hung up" on developing alien species that the story suffers. You have created a universe where I don't have to be distracted trying to figure out the motives of an alien species, but rather, something way more relatable. I think that's what makes it special.

Alas, I have run out of books to read and I suppose I will have to be patient and wait for the next episode to arrive. I guess my only real complaint is the repetitiveness of some of the basic information that occurs when starting a new episode, but having read them back to back so quickly made it more apparent. I have noticed that has declined somewhat in each new episode, which is good, because let's face it, this is not a series where you can just start at any point. It must be read from the beginning!

As for suggestions, I think it would be interesting if Nathan and Jessica's relationship was filled with a bit more sexual tension and maybe even a real love interest. That would create some dynamics like his angst for putting her in danger and her reactions to that. Plus, he is stressed and needs to get some! Also, while weapons with jump tech is an obvious direction, one that you seem reluctant to develop, have you considered trying to figure out a way to actually weaponize the jump drive itself, in much the same way the Aurora cut away part of the Jung ship when it jumped? Maybe, Abby could reappear with a way to extend the jump field some distance from the emitters, enabling a drone to carve chucks out of an enemy hull? Or, maybe develop a way for the jump field to interact with and enemy's shields to cause some kind of effect that helps take down the shields or fry the shield emitters or even some unknown effect. I also think that a there should be a concerted effort to develop more alliance members from the fringe and beyond who have not been conquered by the Jung but may or may not have a knowledge of the Jung. You may discover a world that has been building up their resources much longer then the earth was and who is in far better position to help flank the enemy. It also might be interesting if someone discovered that the earth has been caching supplies, food and equipment for decades clandestinely somewhere in the sol system. That could help not only Nathan and Cam, but the earth as well.

Anyways, just some thoughts from a new fan. Keep up the good work!

Wayne Campbell

5 Replies
Topic starter
(@waynedcam)

Just thinking about what I posted above and wanted to add to my thoughts. My thought was, what if, during the bio-digital plague, the earth secretly dispatched colony ships, with the worlds leading scientists and the greatest minds and a copy of the data ark to a world way outside of the fringe, maybe a few hundred light years? And what if over a thousand years, they grew and became the most technologically advanced society in the galaxy? If they were discovered, would they help? Maybe they have grown so advanced they can stand on their own. Or maybe they are so peaceful, they would not want to get involved. And they already have jump tech that exceeds the abilities of the Aurora many fold, but have no desire to use it.

(@nuclearman)
Estimable Member

@waynedcam:
That probably happened though, I doubt they would have jump tech. It was an accidental discovery caused by a specific approach to making better defensive technology, which probably wasn't duplicated. It also seems unlikely that they wouldn't use jump tech if they had it, unless there's a rather good reason (yet unknown to the readers) for why it shouldn't be used. Although, they might have simply banned access to the area of space affected by the bio-digital plague.

Seems more likely that they would had a lot of time do develop and find other applications for ZPE tech since it sounded like that research on that was being done before the bio-digital plague spread.

(@tomchfun2)

Please don't put a sexual tension dynamic into it. We are at war, they are officers and have a duty not to cross certain lines. It is against regulations for a commanding officer and a subordinate to have a relationship or even to express those feelings. It is extremely unprofessional behavior and it detracts from the mission at hand, destroying the Jung threat. I personally would loose a great deal of respect for these characters were they to enter into a relationship of that nature while they serve in a command structure together. It's a military thing. My first squad leader in the U.S. Army went to be a drill sergeant and started having sex with the very soldiers he was supposed to be commanding and training. He got sentenced to 7 years at Ft. Leavenworth Penitentiary for it. It is a serious matter for any military organization.

(@jeff-salvatore)

I agree with Richard, keep as it is... The whole idea that you need love to "improve" or make something "more interesting" is just wrong. Me and missus, who also reads this, believes its good just as is. If you want to add the concern of Nathan with Jessica because of their past would seem logical and not outside the realm of reality.

(@demian)
Trusted Member

I'd rather introduce new characters, maybe a civilian, that gets around Nathan with time, but I too agree that a relationship within a military organization would be a complicated one that will not have much to deal with the whole plot...

Share:
Click to access the login or register cheese